Mission & Purpose
The Campfire Film Festival – is a 4 day celebration of film from SEPTEMBER 3-6, 2014 encompassing the towns of Woodruff, Lac Du Flambeau, Minocqua, Manitowish Waters, Arbor Vitae and Boulder Junction. Selected films will be presented at the Lakeland Cinema in Woodruff through the generous support of Conway Theaters. In addition, a special screening is scheduled to draw attention and crowds on September 4th as the block in front of the theatre is closed for the opening Gala! More news and information about the Premiere Street Party and Opening Gala will be forthcoming. We are hoping to have a special outdoor screening on a 3-story wide screen again in 2013! Over the course of the Festival over 20 hours of feature length/short films and 6 hours of educational/documentary content will be shown. The programming is designed as a competition and film arts exhibition all in one! The events within the Festival have been designed to encourage attendees to see and experience our communities.
Our Mission: Gather ‘Round the Campfire Film Festival!
The Campfire Film Festival is a celebration of film, the arts and natures grandeur. Its mission is to provide an engaging high quality film event that sparks a flame of creativity and growth for Wisconsin’s Northwoods region. The Campfire Film Festival features the talent of Wisconsin’s film industry while showcasing great films and filmmakers wherever they originate and also encourages emerging and young filmmakers.
The Vision of Campfire Film Festival is to
- influence a positive movement in our local economic climate. Our motivation is to inspire our communities to work together. We do not intend to create "just another great event", rather to seek out and explore new attention and devotees to the area. We hope to encourage attendees to take a better look at the Northwoods – to see our communities in a new light! Not just to visit, but perhaps to invest in an area that is rich with arts, natural beauty and a cooperative, welcoming spirit. Through casual, trendy dinners and social mixers the Festival hopes to encourage the participation of our area business leaders and associates, residents, and long-time visitors to mingle with those who may be seeing the Northwoods for the first time
- actively promotes interest in welcoming filmmakers to consider our communities as a filmmaking destination...who knows, maybe, we will even inspire the entire creation of the next great Northwoods themed blockbuster!
- offers sponsors the chance to align their brand a dynamic annual event! With our promotional program, media coverage and specific sponsorship opportunities available (see the Sponsorship Levels page), The Campfire Film Festival will give your brand significant promotional opportunities, both at the event itself, as well as during pre- and post- event activities.
- connect with and inspire tomorrow's Wisconsin filmmakers. We aim to support the innovative work of talented filmmakers who showcase their films at the festival.
Non-Profit Cooperative Support
Every year, a portion of the proceeds from the Campfire Film Festival will benefit worthwhile non-profits. This year we are proud to support Film Wisconsin and Camp For All Kids.
- Film Wisconsin: A unique non-profit organization and public/private partnership working to create a thriving Motion Picture, Television Production, and Video Game industries in the state. Until recently, Wisconsin had no state film commission or official state liaison to the entertainment or gaming industries so Film Wisconsin was formed to advocate for the industry with Wisconsin’s state and local leaders, provide information and resources for the industry as well as technical assistance for individuals and organizations engaged in all aspects of film and motion production including video gaming and new media. Today, they continue their work in coordination with the Department of Tourist to attract, support, and assist Wisconsin located films and media.
- Camp for All Kids: Promotes and facilitates racial diversity by sending kids from under-served communities to overnight summer camp. Camp for All Kids partners with schools that help select kids who have already succeeded at school and will thrive at camp. Families tell us that this experience has opened doors and provided learning opportunities that didn't previously exist. Our campers currently come from elementary and middle schools in St. Louis and Chicago. Recipients may continue to receive an annual campership if they continue to meet their school's academic and citizenship standards. Like no other youth activity, camp has the ability to shape life-long attitudes and behaviors. It is a place where children are treated as individuals, not as stereotypes; where campers are judged by their behavior, not by their appearance. When camp is diverse, everyone benefits. In this intimate setting, children from different cultures and life experiences learn to live cooperatively, exercise tolerance and make close and lasting friendships. Once accepted into the program, children can return to camp to nurture those friendships year after year. Camp for All Kids partners with five camps in the Northwoods: Birch Trail Camp in Minong, WI; Chippewa Ranch Camp in Eagle River, WI; Camp Kamaji in Wolf Lake, MN; North Star Camp in Hayward, WI; and Camp Timberlane in Woodruff, WI.
Educational program: The Campfire Film Festival is designed to educate and inspire the next generation of filmmaker. It features interviews with working industry professionals, an enticing competition for the best film made from selected categories, live presentations and seminars for filmmakers, and film buffs alike. We are looking forward to a variety of presentations and workshops by film industry professionals.
Community Event: The communities that make up the Lakeland area are a destination perfectly suited to host a successful film festival! We are one of Wisconsin’s leading tourist destinations. Our goal is to purposefully mold this event to attract a new demographic of attention to our area. There are thousands of successful Film Festivals throughout the world…most would be delighted to have the lodging, venue locations, and dining facilities that we already have in place. The Festival has a great schedule of events slated for this year. All of the organized festival events are designed to be cohesive and fun yet intended to fully engage both new and repeat visitors. We are building a dedicated volunteer staff determined to build this festival into a successive annual tradition for the area. And it’s your sponsorship that will make it all possible! We aim to forge a mutually beneficial ongoing relationship with you to build a Campfire Film Festival that brings new life to the Lakeland area through the art of Film!
Summer Camps: In addition, we have created an attendance booster competition designed to specifically target the often-forgotten, huge association of our summer camp alumni/friends throughout the area. Our campfire theme is the perfect tie-in to our summer camp history...summer camps have a unique influence on our culture here in the Northwoods. Through our theme-based social events, we hope to highlight our local summer camps and what they bring to our culture! A majority of our summer camp alumni and friends currently live in suburban and metropolitan areas with thriving annual film festivals. Our hope is that they will bring with them a great enthusiasm for our area, the film arts, and the festival atmosphere.